We made the decision to pursue our dreams when we stopped listening to people telling us that our idea wouldn’t work. We simply made the decision to make it happen and create our own circumstances and opportunity. A simple decision is all that it takes to start. Market America started in 1992 working from our modest home in North Carolina. There were so many obstacles and challenges in the early days. Having an Internet shopping company and an online cosmetics company (Motives Cosmetics) was even more challenging in 1992 when no one shopped online. In fact, most people didn’t even own a computer in 1992. So, the concept seemed impossible to others, but not to my husband JR, my family, or our team. We started the business with very little capital; however, we had a clear vision, passion and a strong desire to succeed and do something that had never been done before. It’s never easy being a pioneer, but the payoff is so rewarding in so many ways.
- What’s your biggest passion in life? What drives you every morning? Well, my daughter is my biggest inspiration, but my biggest passion is to help other people succeed. It’s something that most people won’t do. People are afraid to help other people succeed because of their fear that they will be better than them, or they will replace them. Some people won’t help others because they don’t have the time. We make time to help others, which is what we do best. In our business, we help other people achieve time and financial freedom by teaching them how to work for themselves. Our company provides people access to our business, technology and products like Motives Cosmetics. They can share these products with others and make money. I love helping others, there is nothing more rewarding than seeing someone’s life positively change personally and financially. One of the greatest things about Motives Cosmetics is that it not only makes you beautiful on the outside, but it also enhances the beauty from within. I believe that when you look your best, you feel your best.
3. How do you feed your mind every day?
I only surround myself with positive people. It is a requirement. I refuse to be around people who are negative and bring negative energy. Listen, it is tough enough to succeed, so why make it harder by keeping the naysayers around you who will only bring you down. I prefer to surround myself with a group of people who support and encourage my efforts and success. I keep a very small group of friends. Thankfully, you can choose the people to be with, so choose wisely.
- What is success to you?
Success to me is different today than it used to be. Of course, in the early days, success was making money to pay the bills. Today, success is more about learning to balance my family and personal time with work. Having time freedom is critical to the formula of success. All work and no play isn’t fun for anyone. For me, success is the ability to live life on your own terms. Success is having the financial freedom to do the things you want to do, spend time with your family and grandchildren as well as helping others achieve their goals and dreams.
- Is your strategy replicable?
Of course, this is what makes our business so attractive. We actually have created a business model that anyone can be a part of and duplicate with others.
- If you were given $50 to start a business, how would you do it?
I would start my own business with Market America. However, if that was not an option, I would identify a product in a niche market that people need. I would find a manufacturer to make it at and use social media to build the brand and market it. With today’s technology, it is no longer necessary to spend a lot of money for advertising and marketing. Social media has leveled the playing field. Motives Cosmetics has used social media to attract new customers with virtually no cost. Social media, with the visual impact of Instagram has enhanced the Motives brand image with all of the beautiful looks created by many talented women.
- If you would interview 3 successful people who they would be?
Princess Diana, Ronald Reagan, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
- What do you envision yourself doing when you turn 80?
Exactly the same thing I am doing now…helping people achieve time and financial freedom. When you love what you do, you never work a day in your life.
- Words of wisdom. What would you like to say to the people that are just starting on their journey to success?
Don’t let anything or anyone stop you. Find a mentor and ask for help. Do the hardest things first every day. Never give up.
Dream big because you will never be bigger than your dreams.